before I sleep

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude." - Alfred North Whitehead

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Occasional cooking is fun!!!

Well, sunday the funday. Our maid is on a long holiday, and I had no mood to go outside for lunch as it is burning hot. So, I decided to cook something myself. Firstly, I planned to cook Rice, pulses and ladyfingers for two of us, Rahul and myself. But he decided to go to office and, I lost the mood to cook so many things.
After some thoughts, I decided to have Kulcha (a kind of bread) with ladyfingers and curd. Hmm, I had never cooked alone before and wasn't quite sure of what is going happen. Nevertheless, I kept my cool, did usual preparation of washing, chopping, etc. I remembered how mom used to make this dish at home. While chopping one should make sure to cut small pieces for better taste.
Put some refined oil in kadhai and heat at normal flame for 2-3 minutes. Add some heeng, Jeera, Methi and wait till it turns reddish. Put chopped vegetables and mix it well. Now, put Red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt according to your taste and again mix it well. If you wish, you may also add some Garam Masala. Close the kadhai with a lid and let it cook in its steam for 3-5 minutes. There is an easy way to find out if the cooking is enough by cutting it using a spoon. You definitely need some experience to for that. Now, let it fry in open until it becomes a little reddish according to your choice.
Voila!!! Within half an hour, I was ready with a homely indian ladyfinger dish. Well, I was quite happy when mom tried it and gave me full score for it. Well, cooking once in a while is lots of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home